How to add purchased inventory items from Banking tab? I like to enter SKUs, Qtys of each item in one entry.
Assuming you have QuickBooks Plus Plan, you will first need to ensure that in company settings you turn on the Items table and Purchase orders.
(Gear icon at the top > Your Company > Account and Settings > Expenses > Bills and expenses and Purchase Orders (if needed) > ON).
First, you will have to manually create a transaction in QBO. You enter an Expense, Check or Bill form (create + sign > Vendors), about halfway down the left side is a title “Item Details” tab, NOT Account details tab. Click that and a table opens where you can select the product/service item code, SKU, Qty, Rate, and Item-Total cost for purchasing inventory.
Second, you then go back to the Banking tab. You should see MATCH green button for that transaction. Click Match and it will move to QuickBooks register.
If you have QuickBooks Desktop file older than 2015 with inventory items and try to convert to QBO, read this article first. You will need 2015 or newer version to import inventory properly. They offer you the latest trial version. Click here for trial links. This is for US version only.
Note: Even with this latest version of QBD, you may experience some issues with inventory in QBO. Also, you may want to a 100% physical inventory, and adjust current qty to match in desktop before exporting to QBO. There is no value adjustment in QBO.
See also QuickBooks Help article.
|XERO - Alternative to QuickBooks|
|SAGE 50 Accounting|
These are the specific steps you can follow in QuickBooks Online (available in plus plan only) if you are donating or giving away tracked quantity on hand inventory items.
Create ZERO Value Sales Receipt for Inventory Items:
1. From the Home Page screen > click Create (+) Sign (top middle bar) > Customers > Sales Receipt and create a Sales Receipt for the inventory item.
2. Choose a customer (name of donating company). Add new if needed.
3. Select Item Donation as your Payment Method. Add new if needed. Optional.
4. For “Deposit to” field, select Add new and create bank category type account. Name it clearing account. (This will create just a zero dollar transaction. You would not have any actual banking transactions in this bank register).
5. In the Product/Service column, click the drop-down arrow to select the product/service you are donating.
6. Change the Rate of the selected product/service to zero so that the total of the sales receipt is zero.
7. Click Save.
8. Click “More” at the bottom. Select Transaction Journal report. This will give you the original cost of the inventory items you are donating. Print as PDF or select export to excel. Do the same for the Sales Receipt.
Next, to account for the original cost of the product/service(s) selected, create a Journal Entry to move the cost out of the Cost of Goods Sold account and into the appropriate expense account (for example, Charitable Donations Expense).
To record this:
1. Click Create (+) sign > Other > Journal Entry.
2. In the Account section, choose the expense account used to track charitable contributions (for example, Charitable Donations Expense).
3. Enter the cost of the product/service in the Debit field.
4. On the next line, click the drop-down arrow and select the Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) account for the donation.
5. The cost of the product/service entered in the field above will populate the Credit field.
6. Click Save.
7. Optional. Attachments (bottom left) for the record. Attach Transaction Journal (that gives you how you got the cost of the donated items) and Sales Receipt.
Our YouTube Tutorial Video: How to track donated inventory stock items by your business in QuickBooks
This new update in February 2016 may have resolved the crucial “Inventory Starting Value” adjustment issues. It’s very important to note that they release these new features to users on their incremental plan. Hope all users will see it soon.
For adjustment, go to the chart of accounts > select Inventory Asset account > click “View register” under Action column > locate “Inventory Starting Value” row item > click “edit” and make necessary adjustments that include quantity, starting as of date, cost, adjustment account, and the memo field.
With this new update, they may have also resolved quantity update delete “error -30006” issue as well.
|If you found our answers useful then please contribute few bucks to support this forum. Thank you!
Sign up QuickBooks for a 30-day FREE Trial
QuickBooks Online October 2015 Update Part 1 -Bank Feeds, Billable to customers, Attach photo receipt, Add foreign Bank
QuickBooks Online October 2015 Update Pt2 – ITEM TYPES Inventory, Non Inventory Service